Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Question #6: What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued / reviled / saddened / angered / surprised you?

First of all, I was surprised to find out that there are still “uncivilized” tribes like the Sawi around the world. I knew that a lot of people live in poverty and are in need of our help but I have never thought that such primitive tribes still exist in some parts of the world. However, as I read more stories and learned more about their culture, it was even more surprising to learn how they have been continuing their lives!!

I could not understand their tradition of killing people and eating the flesh. Even though it says that killing enemies is honor and eating the human flesh opens eyes of knowing good and evil, the tradition does not make sense to me at all. This concept angered me because I felt that the Sawi people do not respect other people. As a human being, how can one eat another human being’s flesh? That is really barbaric! However, on the other hand, it saddened me, too, because people are just killing each other due to lack of knowledge and understanding of human rights. I do not think that they would have been keeping this tradition if they only knew that each individual is unique and special and should be protected with some fundamental human rights. Relating to the human rights, I also thought that polygamy (having more than one wife) was ridiculous. Why would a man need more than one wife? Men are women should be equal. I mean, when I get married, I would not want my husband to have any other wife/wives.

The concept of the Sawi’s peace child surprised me, too. The Sawi people said it was the way to make peace, but I thought it was unnecessary. They should have trusted each other. Then, they would not have needed the actual “peace child” to make peace between tribes. Giving your child to someone whom you do not trust must be very heartbreaking. Trust was what they really needed.

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Trust is a rare commodity even in our own society. I can see your concerns and encourage you to explore the nature of trust - to fully understand this concept in relation to this work. Mrs.Mc.